Hi, this is Kevin Shivers. I’m the chief editor of this site, Footwearpair. I worked as a quality in charge of a renowned footwear manufacturing...Read more
White converse looks dashing when it’s neat, but when it gets dirty, everyone will also notice. That’s why we tend to wash them regularly. But, surprisingly, you might be washing your converse most times and notice that the color is changing to yellow instead of white. Many of us have experienced that on several occasions. So, if you have a collection of converse in white color, you must know how to clean white converse without turning them yellow.
You can clean white converse without turning them yellow by washing them with baking soda, toothpaste, bleach, etc. Also, while using any of these items, you must follow the right steps to prevent more issues. Kindly stick to the article to find out more on how to clean white converse without turning them yellow.
- It is possible to clean white converse without turning them yellow. You can clean white converse in a washing machine.
- Also, you can clean your white converse by washing them with baking soda, toothpaste, etc. Avoid using a dryer to dry your converse; it will alter the shape.
- Do not use 100% bleach to wash your converse; it will wear it off and make it look old.
- How to Clean White Converse Without Turning Them Yellow
- Can I Bleach My White Converse?
- How to Wash White Converse Shoes in Emergency
- How Can I Take Care of My White Converse Shoes
How to Clean White Converse Without Turning Them Yellow
Looking neat gives you class and a better audience wherever you enter. But when your white converse suddenly starts looking yellow, it gives a less appealing shade. Therefore, let’s consider how to clean white converse without turning them yellow?
You can clean white converse without turning them yellow by washing them with the right cleaning agents. Some of these agents and a step by step guide on how you can clean your white converse are discussed below;
1. Use of Baking Soda
Baking soda, also known as Sodium bicarbonate, is a popular baking ingredient. It acts as a chemical leavener, reacting with an acid to produce carbon dioxide and bubbles. This is what makes our cake or cookies rise to a tender and moist perfection after baking. It’s not just used for baking but also an excellent ingredient in taking off stains, even on your boots for back pain.
It can also be used to clean white converse without turning them yellow. Outlined below are simple steps on how to clean white converse with baking soda.
- STEP 1: Remove the shoelaces: Gently unlace the converse. This will help expose much of the white parts and enable you to clean them properly. You can also clean the shoelaces by soaking them in warm soapy water.
- STEP 2: Rinse the converse. It is always advisable to rinse the converse under running water. This will enable you to rinse out all dirt and stains easily and much faster than dunking them in a bucket of water. Also, use cold water, as warm water can make the stains set in and even colors more on the white converse.
- STEP 3: Make a paste. Get a bowl, and put in a moderate amount of baking soda. Then add three parts of vinegar and stir to form a thin foamy paste. Avoid using a metal bowl as this can react negatively to the vinegar. Also, avoid the use of red vinegar.
- STEP 4: Scrub with the paste. After preparing the paste, you will need a toothbrush to apply it to the converse. Get a clean toothbrush and dip it into the paste. Make sure to get a lot of paste on the toothbrush. Then scrub the converse with the toothbrush, concentrating more on dirty areas.
- STEP 5: Rinse. When you are done scrubbing, you rinse again under cool water. This step will help you check your progress and prevent baking soda or vinegar from getting into your washing machine.
- STEP 6: Put the converse in the washing machine. Gently place your white converse in the washing machine with a little detergent and cold water. Set the machine to run on a full cycle. Avoid using chlorinated detergent. Also, to prevent your converse from banging inside the washing machine, it’s advisable to wrap them in a laundry bag before putting them in.
- STEP 7: Dry. Place your converse in a dry, warm, and sunny location to dry. This will help the converse to dry properly and improve the whitening effect. The light from the sun has a mild bleaching effect. Avoid using a dryer, as this will make the converse lose its shape.
2. Using Toothpaste
Toothpaste is a cleaning agent for shiny teeth. Asides from using it to brush our teeth, we can also clean white converse with toothpaste. Below are simple steps to guide us.
- STEP 1: Get toothpaste. Get a toothpaste, preferably a non-gel white toothpaste. This is because colored toothpaste may increase the stain rather than clean it.
- STEP 2: Get a toothbrush. Get a clean new or old toothbrush.
- STEP 3: Apply the paste. Put the paste on the toothbrush first. Then carefully apply it to your white converse. Do this until you have covered up all the dirty spots on your white converse.
- STEP 4: Leave for a while. Once you are done applying the paste, leave it to sit for some minutes. This will enable the paste to soak in properly.
- STEP 5: Rinse. After 10 to 15 minutes, you rinse off the paste and place your converse in the washing machine.
- STEP 6: Dry. Once the washing machine has run a full cycle, you bring out your converse and dry. Hang them to air dry, don’t machine dry as this will alter the shape of your converse.
3. Using Bleach
Bleach can also be used to clean your white converse without turning them yellow. Below are simple steps that will guide you;
- STEP 1: Get a bleach. Measure 50ml of liquid bleach and put it in a bowl.
- STEP 2: Mix. Add a tablespoon of baking soda and a portion of toothpaste. Mix all three.
- STEP 3: Warm water. Add warm water to the mixture and mix properly. Continue stirring until it turns into a paste (not thick).
- STEP 4: Apply. Use a toothbrush to apply this paste over your converse. Apply gently until you have covered up all areas of your converse.
- STEP 5: Wash. After a couple of hours, wash your converse with cold water or place it in a washing machine. Set the machine to run a full cycle.
- STEP 6: Dry: It’s always advisable to air dry. This will prevent your white converse from losing its shape. Therefore hang your converse outside to dry.
4. Using Nail Polish Remover and Acetone
A nail polish remover is an organic solvent that contains acetone. It is used to remove nail polish. Besides removing nail polish, it is also a good cleaning agent for white converse. Below are guidelines on how to clean white converse fast using nail polish remover.
- STEP 1: Get a Nail polish remover and cotton pads.
- STEP 2: Dip the cotton pads in the nail polish remover
- STEP 3: Use the cotton pad soaked in nail polish remover to clean your white converse thoroughly. Continue until you have covered the entire body of your converse.
- STEP 4: Add powdered or liquid soap to water, and mix properly. Once done, wash your white converse in the water.
- STEP 5: After washing, hang them out to dry. Preferably under the sun.
5. Using Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
Hydrogen Peroxide is a mild antiseptic used majorly on minor cuts and burns to prevent infections. It can also be used to rinse the mouth to relieve mouth irritation and remove mucus. Asides from these uses, it’s also an excellent cleaning agent for white converse. Outlined below are simple steps you can follow;
- STEP 1: Get your baking soda, a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, warm water, and a toothbrush
- STEP 2: Get a bowl. Add one tablespoon of baking soda, add hydrogen peroxide half spoon, and add warm water.
- STEP 3: Mix respectively and form a thick paste.
- STEP 4: Using your toothbrush, rub the paste on your converse. Ensure to concentrate more on dirty areas.
- STEP 5: Once done, leave your converse for thirty minutes.
- STEP 6: After thirty minutes, place the converse in your washing machine. Set the machine to run a full circle.
- STEP 7: Once done washing, bring them out and hang to dry. Preferably under the sun. This will increase the speed of drying and improve whitening.
Can I Bleach My White Converse?
You can bleach your white converse, especially if it’s old and needs to be returned to its original state. Bleaching it will make it shine again. You can bleach the converse by the following simple steps;
- STEP 1: Remove the laces from your converse. Leaving them in can make them become discolored and even prevent the converse from bleaching evenly.
- STEP 2: Use a wet rag to wipe the converse. Wipe away any visible dirt. If the dirt is caked in, use a brush to scrub and water to help loosen and remove it. Ensure that all dirt’s removed from your converse completely else; it will prevent it from bleaching evenly.
- STEP 3: Put your converse face down in a clean bowl or plastic tub. Take this bowl or tub with the converse to a well-ventilated area or outdoor.
- STEP 4: Pour an equal amount of bleach and water into the bowl. Ensure that your converse is completely submerged in the mixture. This will enable your converse to bleach evenly.
- STEP 5: Leave the tub containing the converse and bleach-water mixture outdoor for 8 hours. After which, you check the converse.
- STEP 6: Remove your converse from the mixture and rinse in warm water. Then use a brush to scrub it clean. Pay attention to the soles of the converse as well.
- STEP 7: Leave your converse outside in the sun to dry. Ensure it’s completely dried before lacing it again.
What Happens if You Breach Converse
If you bleach your converse with 100% bleach, the bleach will eat away the converse. Also, turn the converse to yellow rather than white, making it look old and worn out. Therefore it is advisable to dilute the bleach with water 50/50.
How to Wash White Converse Shoes in Emergency
White converse shoes don’t look fine with dirt no matter what. When they get stained, it becomes too pronounced no matter how small the stain is on them. So, you must know how to get the stain off in such an emergency.
You can wash your white converse shoes in an emergency by the following simple steps;
- Put liquid bleach in a bowl (50ml)
- Add 1 spoon of baking soda and a pea size of toothpaste.
- Add some water and mix properly to make a paste.
- Apply this paste all over the white converse shoes and allow them to soak in.
- Leave the paste on the shoes for a few hours
- After a few hours, wash them in a washing machine
- Then put them out in the sun to dry.
How Can I Take Care of My White Converse Shoes
Noting that white footwears are very sensitive, you need to take proper care of them. They can easily get stained or lose color, texture, and aesthetics, and nobody wants that. So, what are the ways to take care of your white converse?
Have a Schedule of the Days you’d Put them on
White converse, as we’ve stated, is a unique set of footwear; you don’t need to put them on often. Have some days when you’d wear them. This way, you can variate the number of times you wear it with others. Thus, prolonging the life of your shoes.
Regularly Wash them
Another thing to take to heart is that you need to properly wash your white converse shoes regularly. Every once in a while, be sure to clean them using warm water, mild detergent, and a cloth or rag. This way, you’re preserving the shoes.
Wash the Laces Separately
When washing your converse shoes, ensure to remove the shoe laces and wash them properly, separately. Don’t allow them to be fixed in the shoes while doing so as it doesn’t help and you won’t be able to clean them well.
You can Use a Washing Machine, but Stay Away from a Dryer.
Then, you can wash your shoes in a washing machine. Tumble dry them in low spin and allow them to wash properly. You can also use mild bleach to clean it. However, avoid putting the converse shoes in a dryer, as this kills the quality faster.
How to clean white converse without turning them yellow barely requires any effort. All you need can be found in your home, from toothpaste, bleach, toothbrush, and hydrogen peroxide to baking soda. They can all be found in your kitchen cupboard.
All you have to do is follow the above guidelines and steps to give your converse a perfect shine. Without any fear of your converse turning yellow.